Suggest A Friend On Facebook App | Update 2019

Suggest Friends On Facebook



I have occasionally received 'invitations' from people, most of whom I recognize just vaguely, to join them on Facebook. I've no desire to sign up with Facebook, so simply overlook these. The other day, however, I received yet another invite, from a person that runs art courses I as soon as checked. Beneath, Facebook details 3 other people that have actually invited me in the past. And, below that, there is a listing of nine other individuals 'whom you might know'-- none of whom have actually ever before welcomed me, as well as 3 of whom I have actually had only extremely standard contact with-- eg a solitary query made to an archivist.

This actually worries me-- how does Facebook understand that I have ever before had any kind of contact with these individuals? Can Facebook accessibility their e-mails, see where they are all going to, and also cross-reference them with individuals that have obtained an invite from somewhere else? Or can they, having actually when been provided my email address, somehow get to my Sent messages, see where they are being sent out to, and cross-reference them against their existing Facebook membership ??

This truly stresses me-- it just appears such an intrusion of my personal privacy, and also concerns me that they might be able to gain access to all type of individual information as well as discussions.

Can you describe just how this can be occurring, as well as suggest any way to obstruct it, please??

I'm not privy to all the information of just how Facebook works. That being claimed, I can predict as to just how Facebook (or any kind of social media network with similar capacities) could be making these suggestions.

No, Facebook is not considering any individual's e-mail (beyond messages sent on Facebook itself).

Facebook pal ideas as well as invites to join Facebook-- whether emailed, or ideas when signed in to Facebook-- are nothing more than what I would certainly characterize as extremely informed assumptions.

Tom and also Cock, satisfy Harry

Here's one way I assume this occurs:

  • Your close friend "Tom" sends you a pal request, which you disregard. However, Facebook keeps in mind that he did so.

  • One more buddy, "Cock", additionally sends you a buddy request, which you also disregard. Once more, Facebook bears in mind.

  • " Tom" and "Prick" have a pal in common-- I'll call him "Harry". Both Tom and Prick invited Harry to be pals, and Harry accepted.


So, here's what Facebook recognizes:

  • Tom claims to know you.

  • Dick claims to understand you.

  • Tom as well as Cock both recognize Harry.


The informed assumption is: since Tom and also Cock both claim to recognize you and also Harry, probably you recognize Harry. For this reason, Harry comes to be an "various other individual you could recognize".

As well as you might. Or you could not.

Common rate of interests

Another scenario plays out based out mutual friends, yet shared rate of interests.

  • As before, your pal "Tom" sends you a close friend request, which you overlook and also Facebook keeps in mind.

  • " Dick" likewise sends you a close friend demand, which you likewise overlook and Facebook remembers.

  • " Tom" as well as "Penis" both occur to have actually "Suched as" a web page on Corgis.


So, below's what Facebook understands:

  • Tom declares to understand you.

  • Cock claims to understand you.

  • Tom and Penis both like a Corgi web page.


A various educated guess is that given that Tom and Penis both know you, as well as they share a preference of Corgis, you could also such as Corgis. In fact, you may such as to be buddies with other individuals who likewise liked the Corgi page. So Facebook selects a person randomly who likewise likes the Corgi page as well as recommends that you might such as to be pals.

Of course, if there's even more overlap-- even more shared rate of interests Facebook learns about-- it might select individuals who have the most in common with Tom and Dick, as well as hence hopefully you.

If you are already on Facebook

This sort of shared-connections-and-interests analysis takes place in substantially more detail if you already have a Facebook account. Facebook then can toss into the computation the pages you liked, the close friends you accepted, the posts you clicked, liked, and shared, and also also your place and also various other data you have actually provided it.

The outcome is that they might suggest total unfamiliar people as feasible buddies.

I locate regarding 50% of Facebook's preliminary suggestions are people I don't recognize, and also concerning half of the rest are individuals I might know however do not want to connect with anyhow.

It's not something I fret about

Now, as I stated, I do not recognize precisely just how Facebook-- or any social media-- in fact works. Actually, I would certainly agree to wager that the information are considerably extra intricate. If absolutely nothing else, they are privy to countless relationship links, passions, as well as actions to make these inferences.

Yet I agree to bet it's just that: nothing more than Facebook examining all the data its members have given to infer who may understand who-- even for individuals that are not yet members.

I obtain that it may appear a little creepy, yet I don't believe it's as intrusive as you fear. It's just utilizing the social connections its participants provide to make a couple of well-educated guesses.

Unfortunately, to address your last inquiry, I'm not aware of a method to in fact obstruct Facebook's emailed invites, other than to perhaps report them as spam.